Saturday, May 24, 2014

For better and for worse

November 28, 1959 I promised to marry for better and for worse until death do we part. He is now 82 and I think the worse has started.
A few weeks ago he had a pain in his side, nothing bad, but he  told his doctor and he sent him for a CT scan. They found a kidney stone and cysts and two small, solid masses on his kidneys.  He had the kidney stone crushed and a stent put in and was sent home. A few days later he became sick and began seeing things. I didn't really know what to expect and didn't get much help from his doctor, so when things seemed worse, I called an ambulance. He was in acute renal failure. He spent several days in the hospital getting over that and then two days ago he had to have the surgery all over again to remove the large piece of stone that was left.  I saw a sheet with a diagnosis on it and it said malign of kidney. Also the anesthesiologist asked if he had kidney cancer.
After the surgery I asked the urologist why he asked that and he said we would discuss it at the next visit and started explaining what could be done. I really hate for my husband to find out. He has been so frightened through all of this and I know if he does have cancer it will be very hard on him to deal with it. I am afraid of what the outcome may be at his age.

No comments: