Monday, March 8, 2004

ON SEEING THE OCEAN (cont)

Then Fred ran past me down to the water, jumping and yelling and running in and out with the waves, getting his britches legs wet. I hiked my coat and skirt up as high as I could and ran down and joined him. The water was cold, but we didn't care. We danced and played along the ocean's edge in the moonlight until our clothes we wet almost to our waists.  My uncle had a light and he showed us the little sand crabs running along, sideways, down the beach. The whole family joined us in chasing them.

Soon Mama said we needed to go to bed so I reluctantly left the beach, my coat and skirt sopping wet, the hem of my skirt flapping around my ankles.

That night I slept with Maw on a single bed, her arm around me to keep me from falling off.  I lay looking at the moonlight shining in the window of the little cabin and listening to the washing in and out of the waves.  I said to myself, " I have seen the ocean." And went to sleep, very satisfied.

No comments: