Wednesday, March 10, 2004

THIEVES AND LIARS

One day my sister, Loretta, my cousin, Snookie and I were playing around my Aunt Evelyn's house when we noticed her baby calf come into the yard. We went banging on her door yelling, "Evelyn, Evelyn, your calf is out of the pasture." But she wasn't home. We got sticks and ran the calf back into the pasture to it's mama. We were very proud of ourselves and talked about how happy our aunt would be that we had saved her calf.

"She might even pay us," Snookie said. And then we became really excited.

The street fair had come to town. It came every summer during the hot, dragging days of July and caused a lot of excitement among all the children. Everybody wanted to go. Daddy had promised to take us and if Evelyn gave us some money, maybe we could ride every ride.

" But what if she doesn't come back in time?' I asked and our happy smiles went away.

And then that old demon who sits and listens to little children's conversations crept into my cousin's heart.

 

No comments: