Friday, March 12, 2004

THEIVES AND LIARS (cont)

" I know where she keeps some silver dollars hidden."he said.

My sister and I sat there looking at him. He stood with his head down, his hands in his overall pockets, scuffing the ground with his bare foot.

" Well, she would have paid us," we agreed, " If she had been here."

So we went to the back of Evelyn's house and raised a window. Snookie soon had the three silver dollars in his pocket.  Outside,again we talked some more.

Loretta, who was two years older said, "I think we should put them back. I think she will get mad."

A vision of that street fair came into my head, the many colored flashing lights, the Ferris wheel turning, the merry-go -round with it's pretty brightly painted horses, like the horse the prince rode when he carried Cinderella to his castle. The booths where  you threw nickels and won pretty dishes to take home to your mama. The music was in my ears, the music that we could hear from across town, all the way to our house. My daddy said the music was saying, "Toot! Toot! bring me your nickels and your dimes.

" Oh no" I pleaded, " Let's do something else for her and she won't get mad."

So we gathered up some rocks and made a circle around one of her flower beds. Surely she would be so pleased, she couldn't get mad.

 

No comments: