Friday, March 12, 2004

tHIEVES AND LIARS (cont)

Daddy took us to the fair and when he gave us our fifty cents, we didn't beg for any more. But once through the gate we lost Snookie. But I didn't care. Somehow it just didn't seem much fun anymore. The music didn't sound as pretty as I had imagined or the lights as bright.

I got in line to the spook house, but the closer I got to the entrance the more I decided I didn't want to see the spooks and maybe even the devil that day. Just as I was about to enter, I turned and ran back down the wooden walkway.

As the Ferris wheel went round and round high into the sky overlooking all the other rides and the shouting, laughing people, the workers selling popcorn and cotton candy, the thought of what we had done went round and round in my head

I was glad when Daddy came and got us.

A few days later Evelyn asked Loretta and me about the money and we told her that we had been at her house that day, that we didn't go in but Snookie did. Now we were liars too. Since that day I have never stolen anything else and my sister, Loretta says she hasn't either, but I have known her to lie.

No comments: